It's been one of those weeks that started off overly analytical and ended with me being strangely at peace when it was all said and done. I read recently that in the best of circumstances, moving takes a 6 month minimum toll on your mind/body with trying to adjust to new surroundings and people, and that the effect is greater the farther away you go. Oddly enough, our 6 month mark is in 10 days, and little things like having a girl's night for the first time in almost a year, or running into people we know when we're out, or looking at my recent text messages and them all being from Florida people with the exception of 2 all seem to support that theory...we're completely settled here...which means that I need to stop clinging to the past.
It would be an understatement to say that I've been bothered by how no one really seems to miss us. Is that weird?? I mean, I'm sure people do, I don't feel like anyone like hates us or anything, but at times it has literally felt like we died when we left Georgia (obviously, there are exceptions to this and in no way is mine or Terry's family part of this...) I have warned all my new friends here about how I'm a fairly lazy friend--they're not going to hear from me every day and whatnot...and nothing has changed on that front with Georgia friends. I guess what bothers me is when I do put forth the effort, I either get nothing back or really short responses, like my dumbass little text took so much time out of that person's day to the point that I feel stupid for even saying anything in the first place. Sure, I'm a stay at home mom now, I do have more time on my hands, but I'm still not that type of person to sit around and text everyone all day. No one even calls to tell me someone died, was in an accident, had surgery, is pregnant, got fired, got a new job, got a new pet--nothing. I find out on Facebook or through online news websites. Likewise, no one really has a clue about me either. I typically only put good stuff out on Facebook and nothing too deep here, so it goes both ways.
I read something else that said it was pretty normal for friendships to not really last through moves because you can no longer experience things together in person. I kinda think that is bullshit. I could see if I had this huge social life in Georgia, but I really didn't. We occasionally had parties, occasionally went to dinner or lunch, but the majority of my social life was at work with my coworkers. I don't feel like moving really changed anything. If anything, we put in more effort when we go back to see people. The time we went before closing I was surprised at how people were mad at me for them choosing not to meet up with me last time and angry that it would be so long before we came back. If it weren't for our families....we would almost never go back.
All of this has not been to say that I don't love and miss everyone the same, because I do. There have been days that I've been homesick and tried to reach out and been blown off....and those were the days that wounded me the most. I just feel like everyone else has moved on, and it's ok that I have too. We all have our own lives. And who knows what the future holds? I
This whole blog is so true. Your such a good writer.
ReplyDelete